This is a quick and easy recipe that sits in our go to CL favorites recipe book; I think we've been making it since it was published in 2008. The tomatillo salsa gives it a sweet-heat taste which makes these really tasty. By using pre-shredded cabbage and carrots, this comes together quickly. It does take a little time to roast the tomatillos and make the salsa but the shrimp cook so quickly that the salsa is the most time intensive part. The only change we make to this recipe is to use flour tortillas rather than corn because we think they taste better. I would recommend draining the salsa though--it is a bit watery when it all comes together and we like it a bit chunkier. We also just grill our tomatillos in a grill pan on our electric stove, rather than using a grill.
As of today's post, 11 people gave this an average rating of 4 out of 5.
Recipe by Jaime Harder, Cooking Light, August 2008
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
- 1/2 pound tomatillos
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions (about 4 green onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
Preparation1. Preheat grill.
2. To prepare salsa, remove husks and stems from tomatillos. Place tomatillos on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 10 minutes or until slightly blackened on each side, turning occasionally. Cool completely; coarsely chop. Place tomatillos, onions, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 7 times or until coarsely chopped.
3. To prepare tacos, thread shrimp evenly on 6 (10-inch) skewers. Place skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 2 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning once. Remove shrimp from skewers, and place in a medium bowl. Add hot pepper sauce, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.
4. Heat the tortillas on the grill 1 minute on each side. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup cabbage and 2 tablespoons carrot. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among the tortillas; top each with 2 tablespoons salsa.
- Calories: 252 (14% from fat)
- Fat: 3.9g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.4g,poly 1.6g)
- Protein: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate: 30.2g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 507mg
- Calcium: 125mg