This time I forgot to marinate the meat the night before, so I threw in about 5 extra garlic cloves and added more spices. This time I also found the Giardiniera--it's near the pickles. I liked it, the optional topping gave the sandwich texture and tang. It's so easy to throw together, you could definitely have this as a weeknight meal.
As of today's post, a lowly 4 people gave this a 3 out of 5.
Recipe by Cooking Light, October 2009
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich and about 1/3 cup cooking liquid)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) rump roast, trimmed
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 8 (2-ounce) Italian rolls
- Giardiniera (pickled vegetables), chopped (optional)
Preparation1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top bag, and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Place beef and marinade in an electric slow cooker; cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef is tender. Place beef on a cutting board (reserve cooking liquid); let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice beef; place in a shallow dish. Pour cooking liquid over beef.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Slice rolls lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Hollow out top and bottom halves of rolls, leaving a 3/4-inch-thick shell; reserve the torn bread for another use. Arrange about 3 ounces beef and 2 tablespoons bell peppers on each roll. Drizzle 1 tablespoon cooking liquid over beef and peppers; top with giardiniera, if desired. Serve with remaining 2 1/2 cups cooking liquid for dipping.
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 11.3g (sat 3.4g,mono 4.8g,poly 1.2g)
- Protein: 39.4g
- Carbohydrate: 29.2g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Iron: 5.4mg
- Sodium: 479mg
- Calcium: 52mg