WELCOME!

I'm all about Cooking Light recipes all the time. Hopefully you will find something that peaks your interest and inspires you to use Cooking Light everyday!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ham and Cheese Scones

I hate breakfast. Ok lemme rephrase that, I hate finding something to eat for breakfast. Cereal just isn't cutting it anymore. Plus I need a little protein in my life to get me going in the morning.  This is my favorite breakfast recipe. It's grab-n-go, it's easy to make and so delicious. If I knew how to type out the Homer Simpson drooling noise I would. 

Instead of using 2 cups of all purpose flour, I use 1 and 1/2 C of all purpose flour and 1/2 C of whole wheat flour.  If you don't have a pastry cutter and can't get the dough to look like coarse meal, put your bowl with the flour and other dry ingredients in the freezer for a few minutes and then cut in butter.  Don't overwork the dough--scone dough can get dry if mixed too much and no one likes dry scones (it will be sticky).  Since I have dark baking pans, I bake these on 375 degrees instead of 400.  And be sure to cut the dough into slices before you bake (not all the way through though)--it makes it easier to cut them later.  

As of today's post, 47 people gave this an average rating of 4 out of 5.

I hope you enjoy this in your home as much as I will every morning this week!! :)

Recipe by Cooking Light, 2002

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients

  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1  tablespoon  baking powder
  • 2  teaspoons  sugar
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground red pepper
  • 3  tablespoons  chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4  cup  (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3/4  cup  finely chopped 33%-less-sodium ham (about 3 ounces)
  • 3/4  cup  fat-free buttermilk
  • 2  large egg whites
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and ham. Combine buttermilk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
217 (30% from fat)
Fat:
7.2g (sat 4.1g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.4g)
Protein:
10.4g
Carbohydrate:
27.1g
Fiber:
0.9g
Cholesterol:
26mg
Iron:
1.8mg
Sodium:
519mg
Calcium:
235mg

No comments:

Post a Comment