Like wasabi? Then this is for you! This recipe includes dry wasabi powder (found in the Asian dry goods section of your supermarket) both in the rub and in the cream. Be careful when putting sauce on your plate, this can give you that horseradish nose burning sensation very quickly! Otherwise it is a great way for us to enjoy some fish. If you are using a charcoal grill make sure to check for doneness--ours takes a little less than the recommended time.
We served it with steamed broccoli lightly tossed with Wegman's Sesame Ginger salad dressing.
No other changes were made to this recipe, but it is easy to cut in half if you just want to make it for two.
As of today's post, 16 people gave this an average rating of 5 out of 5!
I hope you enjoy this in your home as much as we do in ours!
Recipe by Steven Raichlen, Recipes adapted from Steven Raichlen's books How to Grill (Workman, 2001) and BBQ USA (Workman, 2003), Cooking Light, AUGUST 2003
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak, 2 tablespoons wasabi cream, and 1 1/2 teaspoons onions)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons wasabi powder (dried Japanese horseradish)
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
PreparationCombine first 5 ingredients; rub over tuna. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Combine wasabi and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise, sour cream, juice, and soy sauce.
Prepare grill to high heat.
Place steaks on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with wasabi cream; sprinkle with onions.
- Calories: 308 (30% from fat)
- Fat: 10.3g (sat 2.4g,mono 3g,poly 3g)
- Protein: 41.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.7g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calcium: 47mg