Um, can we just say the salad is a MUST make!? The rice wine vinegar and maple syrup have the perfect sweet/bitter combination and the pear matched with the cilantro is awesome. I would make this for a dinner party as a side salad on it's own, it's that good.
As of today's post 5 people (including me) gave this an average rating of 5 out of 5!
I hope you enjoy this in your home (at a dinner party?) as much as we did in ours!!
Recipe by Cooking Light, March 2005
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 spring roll halves and 1/4 cup salad)
- 2 cups sliced Asian pear or ripe pear
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, cut into (1/4-inch) strips
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet red chile sauce
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray
To prepare salad, combine first six ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare spring rolls, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, 1 1/2 cups red onion, green onions, mushroom, and 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and chile sauce. Cool 5 minutes. Stir in cheese.
Working with 1 egg roll wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers to prevent drying), spoon about 1/3 cup vegetable mixture into center of each wrapper. Fold lower right corner over vegetable mixture; fold lower left and top right corners over vegetable mixture. Moisten top left corner with water; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Coat spring rolls with cooking spray; place rolls, seam sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown, turning rolls over halfway through baking time. Cut rolls crosswise at an angle; serve immediately with salad.
- 171 (23% from fat)
- 4.3g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.1g)