After 3 days of turkey sandwiches and Thanksgiving dinner x3, it's time for something a little different. This is such a great recipe for that leftover turkey, you just have to try it. The flavors are completely different with jalapenos and cilantro and lime juice. This recipe takes care of your turkey and cranberry sauce.
So as you can tell from the picture, our cranberry salsa is a little less pink than it should be. This is because we devoured the cranberry sauce and didn't have as much as the recipe called for. I think we may have had about 1/4 cup left and you need about 1 cup. Anyway, if you have enough pear and lime juice to cut the spice, then it's all good.
Otherwise we didn't make any changes to the recipe except to include the seeds from the jalapeno.
As of today's post, 17 people gave this an average rating of 5 out of 5! GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Leftovers!
Recipe by Elizabeth Taliaferro, Cooking Light, November 2004
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 wedges, about 1/4 cup salsa, and 1 tablespoon sour cream)
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Anjou pear, cored and finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (2-inch-thick) slices green onions
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
PreparationTo prepare salsa, combine first 7 ingredients. Cover and chill.
To prepare quesadillas, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup sliced onions to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Remove onions from pan; reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 tortillas. Top each cheese-covered tortilla with one-fourth of onions, 1/2 cup turkey, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 tortilla.
Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 quesadilla to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cheese melts. Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges. Serve with cranberry salsa and sour cream.
- Calories: 356 (25% from fat)
- Fat: 9.7g (sat 4.2g,mono 3.5g,poly 1.2g)
- Protein: 19.4g
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 372mg
- Calcium: 218mg