I was looking through myrecipes at their 5 star recipe section and found this recipe during the month of October. The ingredients sounded interesting--pear, granny smith apples, pitted dates and molasses.
Let me tell you this is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I would make it every week if I had a rabbit metabolism. It is just that good.
I didn't make any changes to this recipe, oh wait I did. I used allspice instead of ground cloves because I didn't have any ground cloves.
Only 5 people gave this an average rating of 5 out of 5 but if you try it, trust me, you'll like it.
The only issue is that I had to buy a whole box of gingersnaps to make this. However, to remedy this, we're having friends over for dinner this week and I'm making brown sugar cheesecake with cranberry compote.
YUUUUM, I wish I had more right now.
Recipe by Cooking Light, October 2000
Yield: 9 servings
- 9 gingersnap cookies (such as Nabisco)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chilled butter or stick margarine, cut into small pieces
- 3 1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled Bartlett pear (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates or golden raisins
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
PreparationPreheat oven to 375°.
To prepare topping, place cookies in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1/2 cup. Combine cookie crumbs, sugars, and flour in a medium bowl; cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
To prepare filling, combine apple and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Spoon apple mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish or a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Calories:246 (25% from fat)
- Fat: 6.9g (sat 3.6g,mono 2.1g,poly 0.6g)
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 69mg
- Calcium: 54mg