Slow cooker meatloaf, sounds like a match made in heaven right? This recipe calls for you to cook the loaf in the slow cooker for 5 hours on low. Cooking anything that long will result in a very moist and tender piece of meat. We served this with cider glazed carrots from Wegman's and 'my heaven'.
The shiitake mushrooms in this are great. As other reviewers noted, they add this earthiness to the meatloaf that makes it tasty. Having said that, the rest of the recipe gets a big fat 'meh'. The 'sauce' only coats the top layer of meatloaf, meaning that you only taste the sauce in every fourth bite. The sauce itself is quite tangy, so I would suggest doubling it and stirring half into the meatloaf itself.
Would I make it again? nah. I'll stick to our favorite, Italian Style Meatloaf instead.
As of today's post 11 people gave this an average rating of 4 out of 5.
So, give it a shot and let me know if you agree. If you really want to make meatloaf that's worth your while though, go with the Italian Style. I can't believe I haven't even blogged about that recipe yet. It is one of the best ones we have.
Recipe by Jess Cool, Cooking Light, October 2003
- YIELD: 6 servings (serving size: 4 ounces)
- 2 (1-ounce) slices whole wheat bread
- 3/4 pound ground round
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated fresh onion
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until crumbs measure 1 1/3 cups. Combine the crumbs, beef, and next 7 ingredients (beef through garlic) in a large bowl, and shape meat mixture into a 9 x 6-inch loaf. Place loaf in an electric slow cooker.
- Combine ketchup, mustard, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a fork. Spread ketchup mixture evenly over top of loaf. Cover with lid; cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 152mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 545mg
- Calcium: 41mg