WELCOME!

I'm all about Cooking Light recipes all the time. Hopefully you will find something that peaks your interest and inspires you to use Cooking Light everyday!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Pistachios and Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette


Red pepper jelly. What a weird thing.  Jelly is supposed to be sweet so why do you have this jelly that tastes a bit spicy?!  To make this salad of course!

I needed red pepper jelly for another recipe and for the life of me I cannot figure out which recipe it is.  Anyway I had this stashed in my fridge and so I figured let's give it a go. I was a little skeptical of this salad at first, I wasn't sure how the flavors would come together.  In the end this turned out to be a nice little salad.

To make this substantial enough for my lunch, I added two soft boiled eggs (not pictured).  The only other thing I changed in this recipe was to use blue cheese instead of gorgonzola.  I have issues some times navigating the Wegman's cheese department....But blue cheese and gorgonzola are essentially the same, so I don't think it made a big difference. 

The spiciness of the vinaigrette complements the blue cheese perfectly.  I'm not exactly sure what the pistachios add to this recipe but I enjoyed them nonetheless.  Maybe this salad would be better with a little sweet bite, like dried cherries.  Don't quote me on that though. :)

This salad would be a great compliment to any meal and sounds fancy when serving your guests.

As of today's post 11 people gave this an average rating of 5 out of 5.

Recipe by Laura Zapalowski, Cooking Light, November 2008



  • YIELD: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup spinach mixture and 2 teaspoons nuts)
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup red pepper jelly
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
  • 1/4 cup dry-roasted pistachios 
Preparation
1. Place jelly in a 1-cup glass measure. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds. Add cider vinegar, oil, salt, and black pepper, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cool to room temperature.
2. Combine spinach and cheese in a large bowl. Drizzle vinegar mixture over spinach mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information

  • Amount per serving
  • Calories: 101
  • Calories from fat: 54%
  • Fat: 6.1g
  • Saturated fat: 1.6g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 3g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
  • Protein: 2.9g
  • Carbohydrate: 10.4g
  • Fiber: 2.3g
  • Cholesterol: 4mg
  • Iron: 1.3mg
  • Sodium: 187mg
  • Calcium: 54mg

No comments:

Post a Comment