This recipe calls for flaxseed. I got mine at trader joe's whole and ground it in the mini prep food processor.
This recipe is probably not recommended if you have little humans running around, I don't think they are supposed to have alcohol. Translation: you can make this, just don't feed it to your kids. :)
As of today's post, 17 people gave it an average rating of 5 out of 5!
Recipe by Maureen Callahan, Cooking Light, October 2010
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1/4 cup cognac or dark rum, divided
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 5 tablespoons butter, and 3 tablespoons cognac in a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat; cool. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Add yogurt, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs. Beat with a mixer at medium speed.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.
4. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter, remaining 1 tablespoon cognac, and powdered sugar; stir until well blended. Drizzle over the warm bread.
- Calories: 194
- Fat: 5.8g (sat 3g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.9g)
- Protein: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 31.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 181mg
- Calcium: 32mg