All of the chunky vegetables and beans make this a hearty, heart-warming dish. And since it makes use of your slow cooker, comes together so easily! I sauteed the veggies in the morning, threw it all in the slow cooker and set it on high.
I am disappointed that mine looks like sludge and not at all like the picture on myrecipes.com. However I will say that the recipe posted on myrecipes is different from the one in my cookbook.
Make it easy on yourself and just do it.
As of today's post, 9 people gave this an average rating of four out of five.
Recipe by Robin Robertson, Cooking Light, October 2004
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut carrot
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut parsnip
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 links meatless Italian sausage (such as Boca), thawed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
PreparationHeat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
Place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add beans and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaf). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and butter in a small bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture; sprinkle with parsley.
- Calories: 314 (29% from fat)
- Fat: 10.2g (sat 3.7g,mono 3.7g,poly 1.7g)
- Protein: 16.4g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 777mg
- Calcium: 177mg